Day 32 : [TED] Elizabeth Lesser: Take "the other" lunch


Take-home messages:

1. My years as a mystic have made me question almost all my assumptions. They've made me a proud I-don't-know-it-all.

2. The worst eras in human history, whether in Cambodia or Germany or Rwanda, they start like this, with negative other-izing. And then they morph into violent extremism.

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small."

3. "Take the Other to Lunch.". Now if the idea of taking any of these people to lunch makes you lose your appetite, I suggest you start more local,because there is no shortage of the Other right in your own neighborhood. Anyone whose lifestyle may frighten you, or whose point of view makes smoke come out of your ears.

4. Before you get together, agree on some ground rules: don't persuade, defend or interrupt. Be curious; be conversational; be real. And listen.

5. Used these questions: Share some of your life experiences with me.What issues deeply concern you? And what have you always wanted to ask someone from the other side?

6. Who should you invite to lunch? Next time you catch yourself in the act of otherizing, that will be your clue.

7. It's two people dropping the pretense of being know-it-alls. It's two people, two warriors, dropping their weapons and reaching toward each other.

"Out beyond ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there."

Comments